How to disable reader mode in Safari when you don’t need it? You can easily disable it from the Safari browser and the settings as well. But what is the process?
When you open a link on your browser tab, your primary target can be reading the text. We want to get the most information in the shortest time when we are reading through the webpage. But the ads and unnecessary images can break our focus and the reading boring than interesting. So, we use ad blockers and such stuff. But the “Reader Mode” in iOS and macOS makes things easy. But it’s not always necessary.
If you feel like you are missing the vital text and videos from the article, disabling it is a better choice. Check out how you can disable it for both Mac and iOS.
How to Disable Safari Reader Mode in Safari- Spend 2 MInutes on This Video
There are two different ways to disable Safari reader mode- one is disabling it for a specific page, and the other is for all web pages.
And the techniques to disable it on iPhone and Mac laptops are different. So following are all the methods you can do to switch off the function on your browser.
Disable Safari Reader Mode on Mac
The mac OS has the desktop version of the Safari app. Both of them have equal functions, yet the user interface is determined to be different. So, the trick here is quite different than mobile devices.
Method 1 of 1: Disable for Certain Pages
When you want to disable the feature for a particular page or pages, here are the steps to follow:
- A beginner-friendly trick to disable the “reader mode” is clicking on the “Reader View” button on the URL. That should appear on the left side of the URL box.
- If you don’t see that, follow along to do it manually.
- Click on the app to start the Safari app.
- On the top left, click on the “Safari App Menu”.
- Choose ‘Preferences’ from the drop-down menu.
- From there, click on “Websites”.
- A side menu will pop up, and click on “Reader”.
- Here you will see the list of your “Currently Visited” and “Configured Websites”.
- On the options tab beside the web pages, click on the drop-down menu and select “off” for the targeted pages.
Method 2 of 1: Disable Permenantly for All Pages
However, if you’re here to know how to disable reader view in Safari permanently, it should work. When you don’t like to go page by page and want a simple solution, then here is how:
- On your Mac start the Safari browser.
- From the top menu bar, click on “Safari App Menu”.
- When you see the “Safari App Menu”, hit on the “Preference” tab.
- There you see “Websites”, and you need to click on it.
- Scroll down to “When Visiting Other Websites”, click on the drop-down, and choose “Off”.
Disable Safari Reader Mode on IOS
Smartphones work a little differently than a computer. So, you can understand the process will be different here too. Currently, only iOS 13 offers the easiest and quickest way to turn off the “Reader View Mode”.
Tap on the “reader icon” on the left of the search bar, then tap on The “AA” button that appears or long-press on the “AA” to get the “show reader view menu”.
“Reader mode” will be disabled on the web page while you are viewing it at the time turned it off.
But this is a temporary block. Once you close the tab or refresh, the reader mode will appear again. So here is the process for iOS 13 and also iOS 12 & 11 to disable reader mode.
Method 1 of 2: Disable on Certain Pages
How to disable reader mode on iPhone 11 or other iOS? Just follow the steps below and make it done within minutes.
For IOS 13
Check out the steps to disable reader view iOS 13-
- On your, iPhone goes to the settings app.
- Look for the Safari app and tap on its settings.
- Select it and look for the “Reader” option.
- Tap on the tab, and it will show you all the enabled websites.
- Toggle off the targeted website reader view.
- Now you can view that web page our of “reader mode”.
For IOS 12 & 11
In IOS 12 and 13, you can disable the single web page reader mode just like you enable it.
- Open a web page that has reader mode available.
- Long press on the “AA” icon.
- A pop-up will appear.
- Tap on “Stop Using on [URL of the website}”.
Now all the domains and subdomains from that website will appear without the reader mode.
Read Also: [Fixed] All My Safari Tabs Disappeared iPad iOS 13 or 14!
Method 2 of 2: Disabling on All Web Pages
How to turn off the reader view for all websites on iOS 13 and lower OS? Follow the steps below-
- Enter into a web page that has “Reader Mode” enable.
- Now Long press on the “AA” button (iOS 13) or Tap on the “AA” (iOS 12 & 11) to enter into the reader menu.
- On iOS 13, tap on website settings and then toggle off “Use Reader Automatically”.
- On the other versions like 12 & 13, a long press will show a pop-up menu and tap on “Stop Using on All Website”.
- Once everything is done correctly, the “Reader View” is now turned off.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
What is reader view in Safari?
The Safari reader view, AKA reader mode, works as a filter on web pages. The web pages are mainly text-based, but there are some images, and sometimes ads appear between paragraphs. That may look discomforting. To eliminate the unnecessary images, newsletter, and ads from the paragraphs, the reader mode reformats the web pages and sends all the ads and pictures on the top of the web page. Then you will only see the text and only the necessary images. However, this feature doesn’t work with home pages with multiple links to other pages—an excellent alternative to an ads blocker but not the best one.
Why should I disable the reader mode?
We already said that the reader mode is not an ad blocker, so you have no use of it if you want o get rid of ads. The actual reason to disable it is the featured images on the web page. Images on the web pages help us to understand the context of the content. And the Reader Mode sometimes removes important ones. That’s why you should disable it for an uninterrupted web view experience.
If you didn’t know how to disable reader mode in Safari on either iOS or macOS, we hope you know it now. The methods are way easier than you are actually thinking. Just follow our guidelines, and you will be able to understand the process in minutes. After reading this article, you will no longer need to look for any more tutorials.