If your computer fan loud on startup, and you’re unsure why or how to fix it, don’t be frightened. It can cause for different reasons. Perhaps dust or an internal problem that you are unable to pinpoint. To resolve this issue, you can take several different approaches.
Computer fans that are too loud happen when your computer is overheating. So, the fans on your computer kick in to remove the hot air and let in fresher air. Dust accumulation in your PC, which harms your PC’s performance, can also result in loud computer fans.
You will learn how to resolve this issue in this article. For those who are new to computers or have limited technical knowledge, you may find it weird at first. But we are sure you will come to appreciate it.
Reasons Why Computer Fan Loud on Startup
|Reasons for pc fan loud on startup||Possible Fixes you can try|
|Dust Buildup||Clean air vents|
|Jammed Bearing||Replace fan|
|Overheating||Open task manager and check disk usage|
|Power Consumption||Adjust power settings|
|Out of date graphics driver||Update|
If your pc fan making grinding noise on startup, keep reading to find out how to fix it using the right information and steps.
In this section, we’ll explain what to do if your computer’s fan suddenly starts making grinding or loud noises.
Let’s take a look at possible fixing guidance with step-by-step instructions:
Dust Buildup Inside
The air vents can become clogged with dust and debris, making it difficult for the fans to remove heat as efficiently as they should. You can clean the fan on your computer by performing the following steps:
- In order to begin, you must first turn off your computer and then unplug it.
- After removing the side panel, disable or turn off the computer’s power supply. After that, unplug the fan from the motherboard of your computer. Unplugging the fan is as simple as pulling the fan cord away from the motherboard.
- As a next step, you’ll need a compressed air can and some spray bottles. Spray into an angled can so that the fan turns as you carry the can.
- Finally, after the fan has been cleaned, reconnect all of the wires. Make sure to connect the power supply last so that you can benefit from fan noise.
If you are unable to open the laptop case, please refer to the steps listed below for assistance.
- At first, shut down the computer. And clear the area around your laptop of any objects.
- After that, grab a vacuum and clean out the computer’s exhaust vents on the back and sides. Finally, you’ll be able to check by turning on the computer.
Continue with the next method if the problem persists.
Jammed Fan Bearing
Occasionally, as a result of a jammed bearing, the Computer fan loud, but not hot. To avoid this, you can simply replace the fan rather than purchasing a new laptop.
Several functions, such as fraudulent software or malware, cause the CPU to heat up, requiring the fans to run constantly. Multiple background tasks and CPU overheating can both result in CPU fan loud on startup.
Following these steps will help you.
- To find Task manager, use the Windows start menu’s search function and type in Task Manager. Then, with your mouse pointer over the task manager option, press enter.
- There you will find the drop-down option “More details”. Simply click that if necessary.
- After clicking that, you will find the processes tab. Now, you will click the processes tab and then click the CPU column header.
- Check if your web connection is working properly or not. If it is working, then use it to investigate and verify any worrisome processes that appear in the list.
- After that, select the suspicious process and then click End Task to terminate it.
Try the next fix if you found no potentially malicious processes or if the problem still exists.
Unknown Power Consumption
You can lower the power settings to enable the fans to retain an efficient core temperature of up to 30 degrees Celsius while using less power.
- Firstly click the windows icon and tap settings. Then go to System and click the power option.
- Now just tap additional power settings and click change plan settings.
- Then again, click the change advanced power option. A small tab will open. Scroll your mouse pad and go down.
- Now expand Balance and select power saver. Again, scroll your touchpad down and expand sleep. Then, expand sleep and hibernate, respectively.
- After expanding both, reduce each of the amounts of time. Then, tap the OK button to save. And, restart your pc or computer.
Out of date Graphics Driver
There is a chance that the graphics driver is not up to date. Windows Update is a program that searches for and installs updated information for your computer.
Some laptop manufacturers advise against installing drivers from unofficial websites because doing so may lead to further issues.
Prior to beginning the update, start creating a Windows System Restore point before using a malicious driver. For more information, you may visit Microsoft System Restore.
To proceed, follow these steps:
- At first, check to see that your computer is connected to the internet. You may have to do some updating meanwhile by hand.
- Then, go to the control panel of your laptop settings then go to Updates and security. There you will find Windows Update settings by searching for them in Windows and clicking on them.
- Any available updates for Windows 10 are installed automatically. And, for Windows 7 and 8, you have to select Install Updates.
- Lastly, you have to restart your computer if necessary after the updates.
If your computer fan making grinding noise, then you can follow these methods.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is my computer fan so loud?
This can be happening for several factors, including an overworked CPU, customized system settings, or even the computer’s design.
Is it bad if computer fan is loud?
Probably yes. However, it indicates that it is putting forth significant effort on a task over an extended period of time. If you did not initiate an app that drives your fan insane, something is wrong, and you need to determine what is heading on. It could be a result of faulty web applications or debris in the fan grills.
How can I make my pc fans less noisy?
There are some ways to reduce the noise of computer fans. We’ve already talked about how you can resolve your situation. You must first understand the underlying causes why your pc case fan loud on startup before moving forward.
If you’ve read this far, we’re confident you’ve figured out what to do when your computer fan loud on startup and why.
For the time being, adhere to the instructions outlined in the steps above. I am fairly confident that you will be able to fix it on your own now.
Hopefully, after reading this, you’ll be able to figure out why your pc fan making grinding noise and how to fix it.
If none of the steps resolved the issue, contact the laptop brand’s Customer Support to inquire about service contact and service offerings.
You Can Also Read: