If you find your computer overheating and shutting down, and you are unsure of the cause or how to fix it, there is nothing to worry about. It can be occurring for possibly dust or something internal that you are unable to identify. To solve this issue, you can take several different approaches.
When using multiple programs at once, your computer may overheat and become damaged. In the long run, it’s more important to ensure that your device is well-maintained and free of damage.
This guide will clear out to you how to fix a computer when it shuts down due to overheating. However, if you are a computer user with limited knowledge, you may find it disappointing and puzzling.
Reasons for Computer Overheating and Shutting Down
|Possible Reasons Faced So Far||Fixes You Can Try|
|Dust Blocking Intake Grills or Exhaust Ports||Use Laptop Holder and Clean Pc|
|Insufficient Cooling||Fix Internal Cooling|
|Multiple Background Task||Open Task Manager and Tap End Task|
|Overclocking CPU & GPU||Stop Overclocking and Go To Maximum Processor Rate|
|Overcharge or Dying Battery||Remove or Replace Battery|
Continue reading to learn how to fix computer overheating and shutting down with necessary information and proper guidelines.
What To Do When Your Computer Overheats And Shuts Down?
In this section, you will know what you can do if you face the computer or laptop shutting down suddenly due to overheating.
Let’s know the possible fixing guideline with steps by steps:
Dust Blocking Intake Grills or Exhaust Ports
To keep your computer’s intake and exhaust ports dust-free, you can use a laptop stand or tray. In addition, you have the option of cleaning your computer. You can clean your computer by doing the following:
- First, check your computer is completely shut down or not before you begin cleaning the insides. After that, disconnect all the wires.
- Locate a well-ventilated location and use a firmer surface for the computer. Connect the power cable, but do not turn the power on.
- Discard the case panel. When you remove the side panel from most computer towers, you will find a row of thumbscrews along the back. If you are unable to unscrew, you can use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove them. For the most part, case panels are removable by sliding them back and forth or opening them up.
- Now, use compressed air to remove dust that has accumulated. Gently scrub parts and engine components with an alcohol-soaked toothbrush. Allow for complete evaporation of the alcohol after you have cleaned your components with a brush.
- You can now reassemble your case and reconnect the power cord.
Sometimes computer randomly shuts down for excessive dust. Dust can block all the ports. This is how you can clean your computer or laptop.
If you think about how to stop my computer from shutting down by itself, you can try this one. Hopefully, it will work for you.
You could try this method if the previous ones didn’t work. Following this step might resolve the issue. Insufficient cooling causes your laptop to overheat. When your dell computer overheating and shutting down, you should clean the fan that cools the CPU and graphics card. You may take the help of an expert, or you can do it by yourself with proper precaution.
- To avoid a short circuit from electrical circuits, unplug the laptop, carefully remove the battery, and chose a ground or hard surface to place your computer or laptop.
- Remove all dirt particles from the laptop’s fans, air intake vents, and other components by wiping them down thoroughly.
- Now, clean dust or debris from the fan by wiping them down with cotton swabs dipped in isopropyl alcohol or use a vacuum cleaner. Before reconnecting the laptop, make sure that all of the alcohol has been absorbed well.
- Now, spraying the intake grills with canned air will help to clear them. Finally, you can re-grease the interface between the CPU and GPU and their respective heat sinks.
- You can now put your case back together and reconnect the power cord.
Insufficient cooling or a broken fan can cause a computer shut down randomly without warning.
Multiple Background Task
Applications with many background tasks can cause your laptop to overheat even when you’re not using it. And this can be highly harmful to a computer’s CPU. Cpu overheating and multiple background tasks can both cause the computer to shut down automatically.
- Click the search option from the Windows start menu and write Task manager. Then place your cursor on the task manager option and select it.
- Another easy way to access the task manager is to right-click on the toolbar menu and select the task manager. It’s quicker, though.
- There you will find which applications are running. Select those and tap End task.
Overclocking CPU & GPU
Overclocking CPU & GPU can cause hp computer overheating and shutting down. To stop it, you can adjust your performance setting and change the maximum overclock rate.
By following these steps, you can stop the extreme overclock.
- Firstly, click the windows icon and tap settings. Then go to system and click the power option.
- Now, tap additional power settings and click change plan settings.
- Then again, click the change advanced power option. A small tab will open. Scroll your mouse pad and go down.
- Now, expand power processor management and then expand the Maximum Processor State.
- In the plugged-in option, type a lower value than 100%. And press ok.
You can follow these steps if you do not know how to disable auto shutdown due to overheating windows 10.
- Follow steps 1, 2, and 3 in overclocking CPU & GPU. Now expand power processor management and then expand System Cooling Policy.
- Then check all the options are seeing passive or not. If not, then make it passive. And press the ok button.
Overcharge or Dying Battery
Sometimes due to overcharge or dying battery, it causes computer overheating and shutdown automatically without warning. You can unplug your laptop from power or replace the battery by buying a new one to prevent this.
How To Turn Off Thermal Shutdown Windows 7
Thermal shutdown occurs when a CPU’s temperature reaches its maximum, and it makes cpu overheat. It can happen due to an air blockage. In the previous section, we discuss how you can clean pc when air or dirt block your laptop intake grills. To turn off it, follow the below mention steps:
- Click the search option from the Windows start menu and write System Configuration.
- Then select BIOS/Platform Configuration and click Advanced Options.
- Now choose Fan and Thermal Options. Expand it and click Thermal Shutdown , and press Enter.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Does Computer Turn Off Itself Windows 10?
If the computer shuts down frequently on windows 10, there is a high chance that your operating system is not up to date or there is an issue with the system drivers. Update the drivers and the Windows 10 as well.
Why Does My Computer Turn Off By Itself Windows 7?
When a computer’s power supply overheats due to a faulty fan, it may shut down without warning. Sometimes backdated OS versions and turning on the sleep mode may occasionally be the root of the problem.
Does Overheating causes PC to shut down?
When a PC gets too hot, it will shut down and need to be restarted. The cost of a new CPU or graphics adapter is much higher than replacing a broken fan. Aside from a faulty fan, other common causes of overheating include excessive dust accumulation inside the case or something blocking the computer’s vents.
Why is my PC overheating and shutting down?
A computer can shut down suddenly and without warning due to an overheated power supply, a nearly dead battery caused by a defective fan, or dust blockage. If the faulty power supply isn’t replaced right away, your computer will be harmed.
How to fix my overheating CPU?
If you face your computer’s cpu overheats and shut down suddenly, then unplug it from the power and let it be for cool down around 15 minutes. Then, unscrew and open the case. Next, check the fan is working or not. If not, then clean the dust with a cotton pad carefully. Then, reapply the thermal paste. Before doing it, check the fan speed. If you can increase the speed, it will make a sound. If you are not able to hear the sound, then do the process.
However, generally, a computer temperature rises more than the standard during gaming and rendering videos. But when it’s shutting your PC frequently, it’s something alarming to check.
Undoubtedly, you’ve started to figure out what to do when your computer overheating and shutting down. At this time, follow the guidelines to comply with the instructions above. We are pretty much confident now you can fix it by own.
Would you like to let us know whether or not your problems have been resolved using these instructions?
To mitigate this issue, avoid the steps that lead to overheating a CPU.
You Can Also Read: