Suppose you’ve bought the new Lenovo Flex 5 touch screen laptop and are excited to play games and draw with it. But suddenly, your laptop’s touch screen stops working.
This is bad because now your laptop will turn into a regular laptop and not have touch functionality. What can you do in such situations?
You can, of course, use your laptop without its touch feature, but this won’t be much fun. Also, you paid for touch functionality, so you should be able to always use it.
There are many reasons for your Lenovo Flex 5 touch screen not working. In this post, I’ll discuss how you can fix the issue.
Why Lenovo Flex 5 Touch Screen Not Working
There are various reasons for your laptop touch screen not working. Let’s take a look at a table with the most common issues and their fixes.
|Reasons For Lenovo Flex 5 Touch Screen Not Working||Possible Fixes to Try|
|The Operating System is not compatible||Make sure you use an authentic operating system certified by Lenovo|
|Too many peripherals connected to the laptop||Disconnect all peripherals and restart your laptop|
|Not working after operating system update||Rollback to previous operating system version|
|Touch screen drives may be outdated||Update touch screen drivers|
|Multiple touch screen drivers have been installed||Delete extra drivers and keep only one made by Lenovo|
|Screen can’t detect touch input||Make sure your screen and hands are clean as laptop touch screens aren’t as good as smartphone screens.|
|Touch screen has cracks or has been damaged||Bring it to a repair shop and replace the screen. This might be a little costly.|
Now let’s talk about some fixes in more detail now.
Run Windows Troubleshooter
The first thing you should do when you face any issue with your laptop is to run the built-in Windows troubleshooter. This will check for the common problems first and fix them automatically for you.
To run the Windows Troubleshooter, follow these steps —
- Go to Settings. Choose the option Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left panel.
- Click Additional troubleshooters at the bottom.
- Now, find the touch screen troubleshooter or hardware troubleshooter and run it.
- Follow the troubleshooting guides on the screen. Windows will now try to find problems causing your touch screen not working and fix them.
Use An Original & Compatible Windows Version
It may be the case that the operating system on your laptop is not compatible with touch screens. It’s a good idea to use Windows and not use operating systems like Linux because they’re not made for touch screens.
Usually, if on Windows it shows the message “No pen or touch input is available for this display”, this is an indicator that your Windows cannot detect a touch screen or your operating system is incompatible with touch screens.
To solve this:
- First, make sure your version of Windows is compatible with touch screens. You can find this by doing a simple google search.
- Next, make sure you are using a genuine version of Windows or the version that came with your Lenovo Flex 5. Cracked or bootleg Windows versions don’t support many features, and touch screen support is one of them.
So, if your operating system is not compatible with touch screens, by following these things, you can fix the problem.
Update Windows To Latest Version
Now that you’re using an original and authentic version of Windows and the problem is still unresolved, it may be the case that you’re not on the latest version of Windows. Using a backdated Windows version may have missing drivers and other issues.
So, having the latest version is always a good idea. To update to the latest version of Windows —
- Go to Settings. Then head to Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates. This will make sure if you’re on the latest version of Windows.
- If you’re not on the latest version of Windows, select the Download and install button. This will upgrade your Windows version.
- Now restart your PC.
If the issue was an outdated Windows version, you can upgrade to the latest Windows version by following these steps.
Touch Screen Not Working After Windows 10 Update
Even after upgrading to the latest Windows version, some people see that their touch screen suddenly stops working.
You’ll see the message “No pen or touch input is available for this display” in the Windows setting. This problem usually happens because of some bug in Windows or an unstable Windows release.
If this is the issue for your touch screen not working, you can follow these steps to fix it —
- Open Device Manager.
- Find your touch screen driver there. It’ll usually be under Mice and Other Pointing Devices. Then select the option USB Touchscreen Controller.
- Uninstall this driver and check the box “Delete the driver software for this device.”
- Restart your computer, and a new driver should get installed.
- Upon restart, if you see your touch screen is still not working, go back to Device Manager and then Human Interface Devices.
- Right-click on the HID-compliant touch screen and uninstall.
- Again restart your computer for the driver to reinstall.
- If these don’t work, go to Device Manager, then select USB Root HUB. This will be under USB Controllers or Universal Serial Bus. If you see this is disabled, enable it.
- Restart your PC again.
The steps above should solve your touch screen not working issue if the problem is due to a Windows upgrade.
Update Touch Screen Drivers
Sometimes, your touch screen drivers are just not up to date. This might cause your laptop not to detect the touch screen, and thus it’s not working. Updating your touch screen drivers may solve this issue.
To update your touch screen drivers, follow these steps —
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Mice and Other Pointing Devices. Find USB Touchscreen Controller from there. Right-click on this and select the Update driver. This will check if your driver is up to date. If not, it’ll download and install the latest driver.
- Restart your computer and see if the touch screen works again.
- If that didn’t work, again go to Device Manager. Then select Human Interface Devices.
- Right-click on the HID-compliant touch screen and select the Update driver option.
- Restart your PC again.
Now all your touch screen drivers are up to date. After your PC restarts, the touch screen should start working if the problem is outdated drivers.
Disable and Re-Enable Touch Screen Drivers
Sometimes, just disabling and re-enabling your touch screen drivers can do the trick. Doing this is similar to the previous steps, just this time, you have to select Disable device instead of Update driver. Let’s walk through the complete steps.
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Mice and Other Pointing Devices. Choose USB Touchscreen Controller. Right-click on it and select Disable device.
- Restart your computer.
- After restart, go to USB Touchscreen Control again, similar to the previous steps, and select Enable device.
- Restart your computer again.
Now, one of the drivers has now been disabled and re-enabled. Let’s do this for one more driver.
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Human Interface Devices and select it.
- Right-click on the HID-compliant touch screen and select Disable device.
- Restart your computer.
- Again go to the HID-compliant touch screen similarly and this time select Enable device.
- Finally, restart your computer again.
If your touch screen not working was a driver problem, by following all the steps discussed above, your touch screen should be working again.
Stop Automatic Driver Updates
Sometimes, your drivers get updated automatically, placing new drivers instead of old working ones. This is good most of the time, but it’s common to see drivers with bugs that may cause your touch screen to not work.
To fix this, you should disable automatic driver updates. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Type and open the Control Panel from the Search bar.
- Now, select System.
- Click Advanced system settings. This will be on the left side of your screen.
- Go to Hardware and find Device Installation Settings and select.
- Check the box saying “No.”
Automatic driver updates have now been disabled. Now, Windows won’t be able to interfere with your hardware drivers. But don’t worry; security updates will still come if you disable automatic driver updates.
Rollback Windows And Drivers To the Previous Version
If your touch screen used to work previously on a version of Windows, it’s a good idea to go back to that version again. But note that this method might delete all your files and documents. So, back up your files first before proceeding with this step.
To revert to a previous version of windows —
- Go to Settings. Now click Update & Security.
- Select Recovery.
- You will see the option Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.
- Select Get started, and your Windows will go to a previous compatible version.
If it has been more than 10 days since using Windows, the Get started button might not be there. In that case —
- Go to Control Panel and then Recovery.
- Select Open System Restore.
- Click Next, and your Windows version will be reverted.
The steps above will also take your drivers and other system settings to previous working versions. So, by doing this, you can fix the laptop touch screen not working issue.
Recalibrate Your Touch Screen
Sometimes your touch screen might not be properly calibrated. This might cause it not to work. To recalibrate the touch screen —
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to Tablet PC Settings.
- Select Display.
- At the bottom, find the Calibrate button and select it.
- Click on the Reset button.
Now, your touch screen should be recalibrated. Restart and check if it works.
Resetting Registry Editor
The Windows Registry key is responsible for making your PC’s hardware and software components work together in harmony.
All sorts of data are therefore stored in the registry. Sometimes, if the data gets corrupted or deleted, some hardware elements like the touch screen can stop working.
To repair and reset your Registry Editor, follow the steps below.
- Open Search and type Command Prompt.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Now type SFC/scannow. This will scan and check if your Registry Editor has corrupted or deleted data. If so, everything will get reset.
Use Specialized Troubleshooting Softwares
There is much-dedicated troubleshooting software for free that you can use to troubleshoot your computer. These will scan your computer for potential hardware and software problems and help you fix them accordingly. Now let’s talk about a few software like this.
Restoro PC Repair Tool
Restoro PC Repair Tool is a great troubleshooting tool used by thousands worldwide. It’ll search your computer for common hardware and software issues and also optimize your computer for maximum performance by tweaking specific settings. All this will be done without any file loss or data corruption.
To use Restoro —
- Download Restoro using this link.
- Run Restoro.exe.
- Select Start Scan. This will find all possible issues on your computer.
- Now click Repair All. All the issues found by the scan will now be resolved.
DriverFix is popular software that will update and install the right drivers for your Windows version. This is an all-in-one software that will help you download and install the right drivers from one place. To use it —
- Download DriverFix from this link.
- Install the app. DriverFix will now automatically find outdated and faulty drivers on your computer.
- You’ll then get a diagnosis on which drivers are faulty. Now select the drivers you’d like to install and fix.
- DriverFix will now download and automatically install the right drivers.
- After downloading, restart your PC.
Your computer will now have the correct drivers set up.
Update Intel® Processor I/O Controller Driver for Windows 8.1 Intel® NUC Driver
Many users have said that updating this driver has solved their Lenovo Flex 5 touch screen not working issue. By installing this driver package, you can fix a bunch of important drivers on your laptop at once.
Here’s how you can do it.
- Follow this link to download the Intel® Processor I/O Controller Driver for Windows 8.1 Intel® NUC Driver from Intel’s website.
- Extract the zip file.
- Go to Installer > PlatformInstaller.
- Click setup.exe.
Now, the drivers on your laptop will get replaced with working drivers from this package. This should fix your touch screen not working issue, as it’s done for several Lenovo users.
Note: This solution is for Windows 8.1 only. If you’re on Windows 10 and none of the solutions discussed above have worked for you, you can try to install an authentic Windows 8.1 on your laptop.
Windows 8.1 is made specifically for touch screens, so it’ll be a good decision. Then you can follow the steps above to get the correct drivers for your laptop.
Hold Power Button For 1 Minute
This might seem like a simple fix, but several Lenovo users have said that this solution has worked for them. So you should definitely try it.
To try this, you need to follow these steps —
- Shut down your PC normally and wait for a few minutes.
- Now, unplug your power cord.
- Hold the power button for 1 minute.
- Finally, plug the power cord again.
Your touch screen should be working now. If this solves the problem but it still happens multiple times afterward, you should take your laptop to a Lenovo repair shop.
How to Enable a Touchscreen on Windows 7
As Windows 7 is an old version, the touch screen has to be enabled separately for it. To enable your touch screen on Windows 7, you need to follow the steps below.
- Open Search and type Control Panel.
- Click Pen and Touch and select the Touch tab.
- Check the Use your finger as an input device box.
Now your touch screen should work on Windows 7.
Contact Lenovo Support
If none of the solutions discussed here work for you, you should now contact Lenovo support and get professional help. Their online assistance is responsive and will typically reply in a few hours. By texting or calling them, you can get a professional diagnosis on what’s the issue for your touch screen not working.
To contact Lenovo support,
- Got http://www.lenovo.com/contact
- Type your Serial Number. You may also use the dedicated Lenovo software to detect your device if you don’t know the serial number.
- Follow and answer the questions shown on your screen, and you’ll be connected with a Lenovo support agent.
Hopefully, by now, your Lenovo Flex 5 touch screen not working issue has been resolved. I’ve discussed every possible step for you to follow just at home to fix the issue.
If your problem is still unresolved, don’t worry. You can take your laptop to a certified Lenovo repair shop. They’ll be able to give a more in-depth diagnosis by looking at your laptop hardware.
And if nothing works, you can always just replace your laptop touch screen and get a new working one.
You Can Also Read:
- Lenovo Yoga Plugged In Not Charging- Solutions For Different Lenovo Yoga Laptops
- [Fixed] Lenovo Laptop Not Turning on- Easy Fixing For All Lenovo Laptops!
- How Long Do Lenovo Laptops Last- A Complete Guide of Lenovo
- How To Reset Laptop Battery Chip: Finally the Fix Revealed!
- [Fixed] Lenovo Thinkvision Monitor USB Ports Not Working